Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ella

When RyeGirl was about 13, Mom and dad wanted to switch bedrooms. To lessen the blow of my room being taken away, Mom said I could decorate it any way I wanted. Having already discovered a love for all things 20's, 30's and 40's, I decided to make my new dark room a deco noir masterpiece. Patterned deco wallpaper, wooded blinds, ceiling fan, gorgeous waterfall deco dressing table and bedroom set (where I still lay my head) and even satin sheets. I am so grateful for my parents for indulging in this noir fantasy. It was the perfect place for me to spend my teenage years wrapped in angst and thwarted desire. This fascination continued through college (Mildred Pierce watching parties) and even now...RyeGirl wants to do Burlesque to Ella Fitzgerald's Betcha Nickel.

So I was pleasantly surprised to find myself reminded of that childhood bedroom when I walked into Ella on Ave A in the East Village last night. Oh if only Mom and Dad ha
d let me re-do the bathroom too with this black toilet and 40's technicolor flower wallpaper!

But lets get to the drinks: They are named after Stars of the Studio system a
nd seem heavy on the vodka based, no doubt the assuage the loud 22 year old drunk girls flocking in. Yup there was one right next to me awkwardly flirting with the bartender. Hint: Don't brag about being a "long-time New Yorker" and only 22 years old...you are not. If you really were, you would not be bragging about being a spoiled little rich girl being raised in the city. Oohh...See that? My inner Joan Crawford is coming out! Or maybe its my Ida, played by the fantastic and fiesty Eve Arden. "Personally, Veda's Convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young"

LOVE the hat, Eve
!

The seasonal menu is about to change which is a g
ood thing since the watermelon on the bar seemed hopelessly out of season on this cold and chilly night. There was a drink named the Mildred Pierce (Hendricks, Basil Syrup and lime) but my favorite was the Clark Gable, a blend of Bourbon, lime and sour cherry syrup. It was supposed to be made with Makers, but I saw they had the Wild Turkey 101 and asked that he swap it out. Mr. Gable is more of a Turkey Man, don't ya think? I'll ask my Grammy. She wouldn't kick his shoes out of her bed.

But for now, I think I'll nurse another cocktail and think of Veda's big fight with Mildred:

"You think just because you made a little money you can get a new hairdo and some expensive clothes and turn yourself into a lady. But you can't, because you'll never be anything but a common frump whose father lived over a grocery store and whose mother took in washing. With this money I can get away from you. From you and your chickens and your pies and your kitchens and everything that smells of grease. I can get away form this shack with its cheap furniture. And this town with its dollar days, and its women that wear uniforms and its men that wear overalls."


No comments: