Sunday, April 04, 2010

What Would Jesus Drink?


I remember fondly one Easter spent with my Dad when we lived in the West Village. We were thinking after spending 3 days in a tomb, he might be a touch peckish. So what would Jesus eat? Well some hummus, or course! So we headed to a Middle Eastern restaurant on the corner of Carmine and Bedford and had ourselves a feast. That space later became the 2nd round of Shopins and is now Market Table. I could be a restaurant anthropologist. I love charting the resurrections

Tonight, waiting for a dear friend in another beautiful historic neighborhood, Brooklyn Heights, I strolled around and looked in on some new and old restaurants. Nice to see Noodle Pudding still packed on a Saturday night. I have some fond memories there.

As I peeked in at Jack the Horse (not as busy tonight) I was drawn into the warm glow of the roman Catholic Church having its Easter Mass. The Priest greeted me with a lovely smile and wished me a happy Easter. I went inside to admire the Romanesque style church and enjoy the swelling beautiful music of the organist.


I got to take home a bottle of Holy Water too. I wonder if it would be OK if I used a drop or two in a cocktail tonight? That can't be too bad. After all, Jesus was fond of the wine. All of his followers were too..."Look Jesus! A puddle! Look!"

While we prefer to more Pagan symbols of this very heathen holiday, (Fertility! Lets do it like Bunnies!) the glorious joy at the Resurrection in this church reminded me that the ideal Easter Cocktail is probably the Corpse Reviver.

The Corpse reviver is actually a whole category of drinks that were considered morning "eye-openers" after a rough night out. They usually involve a spirit, bitters and juice, perfect for the morning, no? I even crerated on myself back in 2007 called the Corpse Reviver No 33. Harry Craddock the master mixologist said Corpse Revivers are “to be taken before 11 a.m., or whenever steam and energy are needed." Jesus needed some steam, no doubt.

The most famous is most certainly the Corpse Reviver No. 2. But The Corpse Reviver No 1 is tasty too. Especially the version cooked up by Belfast-born Joe Gilmore, the legendary barman at the Savoy Hotel from 1955-1976. Something to try, you Fernet Junkies.

Savoy Corpse Reviver

1 oz Brandy
1 oz Fernet Branca
1 oz White Creme de menthe

Combine in a shaker with cracked ice; shake and strain.

Corpse Reviver No 2

3/4 ounce gin.
3/4 ounce Cointreau.
3/4 ounce Lillet blanc.
3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice.
2 dashes Absinthe

Combine in a shaker with cracked ice; shake and strain.
Garnish with a stemless cherry.

The Corpse Reviver no 33
3/4 oz Irish whiskey
3/4 oz Irish Mist
3/4 oz Cointreau
Dash Orange bitters

Combine in a shaker with cracked ice; shake and strain.
Flamed orange peel garnish

No comments: