Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Punch in the Mouth!

The Dizzy Fizz and RyeGirl Duke it Out!
Photo: Lush Life Productions
Last night Katie Darling and Bols Genever had a Punch Party at Fort Defiance in Red Hook. Fort Defiance has always felt like a home away from home, with its comfortable setting, friendly staff and amazing food and drinks. The main force behind all of this is proprietor/barkeep St. John Frizell. His warm spirit and cool drinks keep the vibe mellow. The fact that his adorable infant son makes a frequent appearance at the restaurant just adds to the friendly family feel. And with Southern boy (love them) expert in the kitchen, Bobby Duncan, makes some tasty bites. And I am not alone in this feeling. Time Out Magazine awarded Fort Defiance at 2010 Eat Out critics choice award!

I saddled up to the bar after a very unproductive brunch shift but a much more productive 20 mile bike ride (Bike Butt!) and was greeted immediately with a tall cool glass of tasty punch. It was zesty and fresh, made with lemon, orange, lots of spices and Bols Genever, natch. It was like a Tom Collins punch, and perfect after my three bridge ride; Williamsburg (2x), Manhattan and Brooklyn. It was also perfect for washing down my green papaya salad, shrimp and grits, and pecan pie. Yes, I feasted. Did I mention I biked 20 miles? Besides, it is all good home cooked food and the perfect Sunday meal with my cocktail family at my home away from home.

No comments: