Saturday, February 13, 2010

Jezebel Julep

If only you had worn that dress, Darling!

"I like my convictions undiluted, like my Bourbon"
This line spoken by the poor doomed Buck Cantrell in one of my favorite movies, Jezebel. Bette Davis plays a spoiled Southern Belle, Julie Marden, whose conflicted love for her man Preston Dillard, played by a dashing Henry Fonda, has dire consequences. Ms. Davis was awarded this picture when she was passed over for the role of Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind. She won an Oscar for her role in Jezebel.

It all begins when Julie, to spite Pres, wears a red dress to the Olympus Ball. And what a dress! As is the White one she was supposed to wear. And the gorgeous number she wears to nurse Pres when he is sick with the Yellow Jack.

I was inspired by these beautiful dresses to do a fitting of the Vera Wang gown I want to wear to The USBY/LUPEC Winter Ball next week and guess what? It FITS! Hurray for working out! And that stomach bug I had this week. I can't wait to get down in that dress next week at our 80's prom in my belle of the ball Good Jezebel dress!



Alas, things do not work out so well for our dear Jezebel and her dress. So in her honor I created the Jezebel Julep. It had biblical implications with the pomegranate syrup and a deep red color like the dress that was her downfall. I like using Rosemary in this julep to make it bitter sweet. Just like love. Poor Julie! Love is cruel game. Happy Valentines Eve, darling!

Jezebel Julep
2 oz Bourbon
2 bar spoon Pomegranate Molasses
2 bar spoon Rosemary simple syrup


Pour ingredients over crushed ice in a Julep cup, swizzle and stir with a branch of fresh Rosemary.


I got to use my new vintage ice crusher to make this drink today! Thanks Dave!


My favorite part of the Trailer below is the title that says, "The story of a woman loved...when she should have been whipped!" Indeed!

No comments: