Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Last night at the beautiful Louis 649, Hendrick's brand ambassador Jim Ryan whipped up some tasting drinks for the holidaze.

First he stared out with a tasty punch. According to my brother-in-cocktail's site Punch in the Mouth, a punch is "One of Sour, Two of Sweet, Three of Strong, Four of Weak." Mr. Ryan's was a tart and dry combination of tea, gin and soda. My instructions were to muddle honey and dried cranberries and then added lemon juice to break it up. Then into the bowl goes chamomile tea, Old-Fashioned bitters, Hendricks Gin, and pomegranate soda. Garnish with thinly sliced cucumber and orange wheels with clove studs. It was a very tasty punch that will go on my Holidaze table for sure. He christened this punch, Persephone's Punch so it looks like my Christmas party this year will have a Greek theme! Good thing since I have no room this year and was hoping my Greek neighbor would host in his apartment. Besides..I love feta.

Next he had some delicious Halloween drinks. There is blood vodka, dyed corn syrup etc... but I prefer the classic drinks that have creepy names. And if they are equal part drinks, they are even easier to make when you are blinded by your false eyelashes and sexy costume (sexy balloon boy?)

So while we had Satan's Bloody Whiskers and Corpse Reviver no 2 last night, but I'll throw in a favorite, The Obituary Cocktail in there too.


Mr. Ryan explained that Corpse Reviver's are a whole category of "wake me up" drinks. They usually have some citrus, so think of it as your morning orange juice...with Blood! MoaHa ha ha ha ha!

Satan's Bloody Whiskers
3/4 part Lillet Blanc
3/4 part Lillet Rouge

3/4 part Orange Juice

3/4 part Hendricks Gin

1/2 part Solerno Blood orange liqueur

Dash orange bitters


Corpse Reviver no 2
Equal parts blood orange liqueur, lemon, Hendricks Gin and a dash of absinthe

Obituary Cocktail
2 oz gin
1/4 oz dry vermouth
1/4 oz absinthe

1 comment:

Kent said...

I like Stirrings Blood Orange Bitters in the Satan's Whiskers, no matter the season.