Monday, December 08, 2008

The Triborough Bridge

RyeGirl loves this time of year, not only for all the holiday parties, but she is also blessed to have so many friends with birthdays during these dreary months. This past weekend featured both! First up was a very fun birthday blast for my friend Ross thrown by his lovely wife Rachel. Any party that involves in getting kicked out of a karaoke palace and fried chicken at 5am in Koreatown, is an stellar party in my book!

The next night was Kent and Sandy's annual Forgotten Cocktails holiday blow out. Matt, Ross, Kent and I congregated in the kitchen to come up with new drinks for my new bitters, Bitter Truth Celery and Fee Brother's Rhubarb. While trying to invent a hair of the dog, we came across a delicious combination of gin, bitters and cherry brandy. This was coming on the heels of a discussion about the classic NYC cocktails. So we had to come up with a classic NYC name for this concoction. Ross kept his lucky birthday streak alive and said, "Well if we are naming after outdated New York institutions, lets call it the Triborough Bridge". And with that a new classic was born! Cheers Boys!

The Triborough Bridge

Gin (we used Bombay Sapphire)
Fee Brother's Rhubarb Bitters
Heering Cherry Brandy

Shake gently over cracked ice and pour into a martini glass. Sip and reminisce about the city of yesterday...years before we called it the RFK Bridge!

2 comments:

Kent said...

Heering, darling, Cherry Heering! Named after the great Danish spirit maker Peter Heering. I hope never to taste a cherry herring.

WonderGirl said...

I fixed it! I am actually intrigued by Cherry Herring....I love that I have the appetite of a pregnant lady. When I actually do get knocked up, I'll probably be able to eat nothing but saltines..or a mac truck!