Saturday, October 12, 2013

Things You Might Have Missed

I know my poor blog has suffered from a lack of posts since I have moved down to New Orleans.  That is, of course, due to my very busy job running an amazing bar in the French Quarter.  It has been quite a joy receiving wonderful feedback from my guests and have even gotten some notice from the press as well.  So I thought I'd share some fun stuff in case you missed it.

GoNola.com has a twenty questions they do and I have fun thinking about all the great new stuff I love about my city in this piece.

And I actually got on the cover of the Times Picayune with a sassy shot of me and my tattoo with this great piece that has some of my dearest new friends profiled as well.

Trust me...for this piece, my refrigerator has never looked so clean.  City Eats is a great new tool for our restaurant as well.

When Wine Enthusiast notices your talents as a Bartender, you've come a long way, baby!

Thrillist is so male centric, I hoped to get a boyfriend out of this piece, but alas, no.  

Speaking of not getting dates....I waited on two very cute gentlemen at the bar the other day.  Now they were here for a bachelor party, but they were past their blasted 20's, I think, and I rather enjoyed their company and conversation at the bar.  I am a bit ashamed to admit, I had some high hopes for myself after taking care of them all night.  Being around cute boys will do that to ya. The next morning I saw them again and had to hear about their exploits at the strip club.  LeSigh.  I should just stick to tending to their bar needs and realize that my needs may be forever on hold.

So here is my Bloody Mary recipe.  For all those strip club hangovers that I am doomed to attend to.  This appeared in Men's Journal, natch.  I am IN Men's Journal, but not in Men's Journal, you know?  Bummer.



Bloody Marys are often appropriate during the hectic holiday season, whether they are used to shore up one's courage before the ride to grandmother's house and a houseful of in-laws, or as the salve to the wounds of the office holiday party. Abigail Gullo, a veteran of Brooklyn's Fort Defiance and Manhattan's The Beagle, is part of a recent wave of bartender emigrés to New Orleans. Gullo brought her Bloody Mary recipe to her new post as Head Bar Chef at SoBou in the French Quarter, and it's been her personal passion to craft smooth, drinkable Marys without the astringency and excessive spiciness that can upset a tender stomach and turn one off mid-drink. She discovered a new secret ingredient in the form of a ghost pepper pickling juice that executive chef Juan Carlos Gonzalez makes for her, but, as Gullo says, everyone's Bloody Mary should be different. "Just throw it all in and see how it tastes," she suggests. "Everyone likes something different, so adjust it until you like it." That said, Gullo does warn us about the spiciness. "It always gets hotter the longer it sits, so go easy on the hot sauce at first and add more later if desired," she says. And Bloody Marys don't have to be made with traditional vodka only. At SoBou, you can get any of four different spirits to go with its mix below: Vodka, Gin, 100% agave Tequila, or Aquavit. The last one, a caraway seed spirit from Scandinavia, is Gullo's personal favorite."
Ingredients:
• 36 ounces V8 (get yer veggies in!)
• 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
• 2 teaspoon orange juice
• 3 teaspoon fresh lemon or lime juice
• 4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 14 dashes hot sauce (we like Crystal here in Nola)
• 10 dashes celery bitters
• 1.5 ounces Krogstad Aquavit (or your clear spirit of choice, per suggestions above)
• 10 drops of spicy bitters, such as Thai chili or sriracha
• 4 teaspoons of ghost pepper pickling liquid ("Any pickling juice you have on hand will do, again: just add slowly and taste as you go," explains Gullo)


Read more: http://www.mensjournal.com/expert-advice/six-holiday-cocktails-thatll-impress-your-guests-20121219/abigail-jullos-sobou-bloody-mary#ixzz2hWLW9Mce
Follow us: @mensjournal on Twitter | MensJournal on Facebook







No comments: