Friday, September 07, 2012

Creole Commando



One of my favorite drinks I learned during my time at The Beagle in NYC was the Commando.  Its a variation of the Sidecar, another favorite classic of mine.  And here at SoBou, when people ask for an off menu drink, I often guide them to the Commando.  Its refreshing and citrusy but has a nice Bourbon kick.  And the Absinthe rinse is pure New Orleans.  

The Commando was such a hit with a customer last night, that he asked for further variations of THAT drink!  Well, easily done as Creole Shubb makes an interesting, more Nola alternative to Cointreau and this blog is called RyeGirl, after all.  So I present the Creole Commando!  Reminds me of all my New Orleans friends who spent the recent hurricane with pistols and automatic weapons strapped to their sides (yikes!).





Creole Commando
1 1/2 oz Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey
1 oz Rhum Clément Creole Shrubb
1/2 oz Lemon juice


Rinse coupe with Absinthe. Shake, strain up, no garnish.


Commando 
1/2 oz lemon,
1 oz Cointreau,
1 1/2 Elijah Craig 12yr.

Rinse coupe with Absinthe. Shake, strain up, no garnish.

3/4 oz Lemon
3/4 oz Cointreau
1 1/2 oz Brandy or Cognac (Lairds apple brandy is good!)

rim glass with lemon juice and sugar rim, shake, strain up. 


2 comments:

Jonah said...

Sounds delish! I used to serve my Sidecars with a shot glass on the side - a sidecar for a Sidecar!

Love ya!

Jonah said...

Mmmm, sounds delightful!

I used to serve my Sidecars with a shot glass refill - a sidecar for a Sidecar!

Love ya darlin.