Wednesday, July 06, 2011

The Sloe Flight South or the Pan Am

Yesterday I competed in the Macchu Pisco competition with wonderful people and wonderful drinks.  I didn't come out on top, but I think all the drinks were really good so it must have been tough for the judges.  We were in the secret hideaway in the Hells Kitchen Pio Pio..what a neat space!  Thomas Waugh from Death & Co took the top prize (a trip to Peru) with a Peachy Pisco Sour, but I went a different route with a pisco swizzle with no egg whites at all.  Maybe that wasn't the way to go here.  I was also pretty sure I would not be in the running when one of the judges decided to take a bathroom break during my presentation.  Oh well...

I had been playing around with a cross between an Aviation and a Southside and then adding a Sloeberry Bluegin float.  With careful construction this drink is quite a beauty and refreshing too!  I have made it with gin, white rum and now pisco.  If you use the right spirits it come out red white and blue with flecks of green mint.  A drink Steagle Cobeagle the Eagle can love!  
Let The Eagle Soar!

The Sloe Flight South or the Pan Am
2 oz Pisco
1/2 oz The Bitter Truth Violet Liquor
3/4 oz lemon syrup
1 oz lime juice
mint
1/2 oz The Bitter Truth SloeBerry Blue Gin

Shake all but the Sloe gin in a shaker and strain into a highball glass filled with fine crushed ice.  Make a snow cone-like mound of ice on top and drizzle the Sloegin on top.  Add fresh mint sprig for garnish.

No comments: