Monday, November 15, 2010

7 Steps to Hell


I had some extra Black Bella already batched up from WhiskeyFest last week so I brought it into Fort Defiance as a drink special for Thursday. It was Veteran's Day and I wanted to honor all my Grandparents. The Bella is perfect since it is a twist on a Manhattan (Gramps Charbonneau's favorite drink) with delicious Italian Liqueurs (Grampa Gullo would have loved some Cynar). I also wore my red sailor hat from the 1984 World's Fair in NOLA and my Hell Kitty t-shirt. Yes, I think I looked adorable.

But as usual, it was my drink that got all the attention. The batch I had sold out so fast I had to make some more on the fly. Naturally when you use different ingredients, you get different flavor. Our bitters selection is limited to just three; orange, Ango and Peychaud's. I think I tried a dash of each. I tried making one with Dewars, but there was some heft and smoke missing so I tried a bar spoon of Laphroaig. The drink was different, a more red in color and still quite good.

I had to give it a Fort Defiance-like name and so the name of my Grandfather's group during World War ll seemed appropriate on this special day.

7 Steps to Hell

1 1/2 oz Dewars Scotch
1/4 oz Laphroaig Scotch
1/2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Maraschino Liqueur
Dash of Peychaud's Bitters
Dash of Orange Bitters
Lemon twist

Stir all ingredients in a mixing glass, strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

No comments: