Sunday, October 11, 2009

Legend of the Fall


I came home from a tasting out on Long Island yesterday and the cold snap in the air reminded me that I have not have a decent Fall cocktail in a while. My reading on the train David A Embury's classic The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks. My home bar is as rusty and my brain these days, so I set out to create something new.

I had some new toys to play with too. Lenell was kind enough to bequeath me a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch infused with Goji berries. And I have been dying to use my homemade brandied NYS sour cherries, so I thought a variation on the Manhattan would be nice. I used Amaro in place of a sweet vermouth, but added a touch of blackberry brandy and rose and berry syrup for sweetness. A couple of dashes of Bitter Truth Mole bitters and a gentle stir and she was ready to pour over my lovely cherries.

Now I have said in the past that Cherries were for virgins, pies and slot machines, and I don't see any of those around here. But these cherries are tart and tender, luxuriating in a bath of rye, brandy and maraschino liquor. Very yum. The sweetness of the drink was greatly appreciated by my poor sick roomie. I guess a spoonful of sugar does help the medicine go down.

Goji berries are also known as Wolf Berries, and last night we had cocktails and popcorn during a viewing of Wolverine, so the name came naturally.

Sweet Wolf
2 oz Goji infused bourbon
1/2 oz Amaro
1/4 oz Blackberry brandy
1/2 barspoon rose berry syrup
3 dashes Mole bitters.

Stir and pour into cocktail glass with a brandied cherry.

No comments: